Pediatric Dentistry: A Positive Start in Your Child's Oral Health Care
We offer individualized treatment to patients of all ages at Taylor Dental. The pediatric dentistry services provided at our Pensacola, FL, practice can help prepare your child for a lifetime of good dental hygiene, as well as provide care for all aspects of oral health maintenance. It is never too early to introduce your child to a dentist. When taught the importance of oral health at a young age, your child will establish a strong foundation of knowledge that will benefit them for the rest of their life.
When Should I Schedule My Child’s First Dental Visit?
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that you schedule your child’s first dental appointment before their first birthday. Since tooth decay can begin when your child’s first tooth erupts, it is important to get in the habit of scheduling and maintaining regular dental checkups at an early age. According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, 42 percent of children ages two to 11 develop at least one cavity in their primary teeth.
Importance of Pediatric Dentistry
Many parents are under the impression that primary (baby) teeth are not as important as permanent (adult) teeth. While it is true that primary teeth only last a few years before falling out, they do serve various functions:
- Proper Alignment: Primary teeth hold space in the jawbone for permanent teeth. If a primary tooth is lost prematurely, it can cause adjacent teeth to shift, leading to misalignment or crowding when the permanent teeth erupt.
- Healthy Habits: Your child learns to chew and eat with their primary teeth, resulting in healthy eating habits.
- Speech Development: Primary teeth help aid in speech development by facilitating proper speech patterns.
If primary teeth become decayed, it can result in staining or pitting in the permanent, adult teeth. Preventive dental care can help save teeth. Since good pediatric health can prevent future dental problems, it is also more affordable and time-efficient to begin dental care at an early age.
Our Comfort-focused Care
It is normal for your child to feel anxious or nervous about the unknown, particularly if they have heard stories about scary or bad experiences at the dentist. Dr. Taylor and his staff will explain each procedure in child-friendly terms, and ensure your child is comfortable before proceeding with treatment.
At Taylor Dental, we help foster a compassionate and happy environment, and cater to each child’s unique set of needs.
Patient comfort is our primary concern, and our goal is to provide you and your entire family with the most comprehensive dental care available. Modern technology provides the ability to treat patients of all ages in a calm and relaxed environment. We help foster a compassionate and happy environment, and cater to each child’s unique set of needs.
Pediatric Dental Services
We are a family-oriented practice and take pride in offering pediatric dental care for your child. At Taylor Dental, we offer several pediatric services to help maintain your child’s oral health:
- Examinations: Routine dental visits are a vital part of good oral health, to ensure teeth are healthy and developing properly. We use the latest x-ray technology to examine your child’s teeth, gums, and jawbone to ensure proper growth and development.
- Cleanings: Having your child’s teeth professionally cleaned will eliminate harmful plaque buildup. Our dental staff will help you determine a cleaning schedule that is right for your child.
- Fluoride Treatments: Research shows the regular use of fluoride decreases tooth decay. This simple preventive treatment can help strengthen dental enamel, reducing the risk of cavities.
- Dental Sealants: Once your child’s molar teeth erupt, dental sealants can be used to prevent cavities. This is completed by placing a thin layer of protective coating over the deep pits and grooves of the teeth.
- Dental Fillings and Crowns: If your child has developed a cavity, restorative work will be necessary. A small cavity can be repaired with a filling, while a large cavity may require a dental crown.
Schedule Your Child's Exam
It is never too early to begin thinking about your child's oral health. Our friendly staff will do all they can to provide a calm and comfortable experience for you and your child. Contact Taylor Dental today to schedule your child's appointment, or your own.
"Everyone that I interacted with was professional and friendly. My dental hygienist, Holly, did an exceptional job cleaning my teeth. She was proficient and kept me as comfortable as possible. The office is very clean, and I just love the heated massage chairs as well as the TV, headphones, and sunglasses provided. Genius!"Donna S.